Oct 9, 2012

Year of Shawls: July Summer flies


For my July Shawl I decided to go with Summer Flies.

Out here in Las Vegas I belong to the Las Vegas Fiber Arts Guild. Every May we have a guild meeting where we dye using natural dyes. Normally I dye little sample hanks. Well, this past May I decided to dye a full skein of Knit picks yarn.

I walked into the meeting knowing that I would dye a full skein with something. I didn't really know which one I wanted though. When I saw the Kamala Powder pot, I knew it had to be that one.

The dye bath looked like really yummy curry.



When I saw the Summer Flies pattern, I knew my skein needed to become this shawl. 


I didn't have enough yarn to make the shawl though. So I decided to alternate the different sections with Kamala powder and un-dyed yarn.


I wasn't so sure about the color combo until Claudia from my Thursday knit night (also one of my rock climbing buddies!)  mentioned that it looks like a fried egg.

That's all I needed. So far this is one of my favorite shawl.

1 comment: