Sep 10, 2012

Knitted Lobster Telephone

“I do not understand why, when I ask for grilled lobster in a restaurant, I'm never served a cooked telephone.” 


I've always had an appreciation and a fascination with Surrealism. I've even attempted to read through the Surrealist Manifesto. I said attempted.

One piece in particular that I've taken notice of would be Salvador Dali Lobster Telephone. There's just something about the juxtaposition between a telephone and a lobster. I find it very striking.




I've never seen one of the originals in person. They are spread out in various collections. 
It's a goal in life to see one in person. 

Instead of waiting, I decided to make one for myself. (You can actually catch it in the background of my Deer Head)



Now, I have my very own Lobster Telephone.

I started off with knitting the base. I knit each section of the telephone separately, stitched them together then felted the whole thing. I sculpted a basic form out of foam for the base to give it stability. The dial is various buttons, and the cord is simple I-cord.



I hand dyed the yarn I used for the lobster. I dyed it using various Kool-Aid colors. I dyed the skein in the microwave, following this basic idea. I knit the basic shape of the lobster then added "scales" to the body.


I'm very proud of my Lobster Telephone. I do wish I could somehow make it ring...

Next project : make a Lobster Dress. (I think I need to learn screen printing first)







No comments:

Post a Comment